I found an etymology quiz online yesterday. They give you 10 random questions on word origins with multiple-choice answers. It's freaking hard. Give it a try and let us know how you did in the comments.
- My first try: 6 out of 10
- Second try: 6 out of 10
- Third try: OK, I should get back to work.
Funniest false answer:
- Where do we get the word testimony?
- From testicle; the ancient Greeks would swear not on a Bible, but holding their crotch and swearing on their testicles.
Funny, but true:
- From where did we borrow the word pencil?
- The Latin diminutive of penis, for "tail, brush."
Yes I am aware the two that I found funny are on a middle-school level of humor. I'm OK with that.
Most interesting true answer:
- What is the proper definition for the word soteriology?
- Study of the salvation of the eternal soul.
- What did palooka originally mean?
- An inferior or average boxer.