Pimp My Word | Episode Three

So last week, Nathan threw down the gauntlet and asked me to pimp chifferobe. (His exact words: "How about chifferobe? Go ahead and pimp that, WordBoy!") This seems like a word that is already pretty pimp, but I'm giving it my best shot. A chifferobe, or chifforobe, is a "tall piece of furniture typically having drawers on one side and space for hanging clothes on the other," according to the American Heritage Dictionary. The word is mainly used in the Southern United States, according to AHD. It is a combination of chiffonier (a narrow high chest of drawers or bureau, often with a mirror attached, AHD) and wardrobe.

Armoire (a large, often ornate cabinet or wardrobe, AHD) was the first word that came to mind, but I think that although it is pretty pimp, it is not as pimp as chifferobe. So I started looking around for other pieces of oddly-named bedroom storage furniture.

I came up with the bombé chest. It's not quite the same (only drawers, no hanging space). But if you are looking for a change in your bedroom storage options, and one that lets you use a new word, this is your choice.

Bombé means "Curving or bulging outward. Used of furniture," AHD. It is a French word that means bomb. Bombé is from "Italian bomba, probably from Latin bombus, meaning a booming sound, from Greek bombos, of imitative origin."

BOOM, Nathan. Chifferobe has been pimped.

If anyone has any requests for future episodes, send them via TwitterFacebooke-mail or in the comments below.

Note: Chifforobe picture from Target; bombé chest picture from Bombe Chests and More.